Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Getting the Last Laugh

As a smart, single gal in her thirties, I have come to the conclusion that dating is one of life’s cruelest jokes on single women.  I’m sure single men have their own horror stories, but let’s face it; as the one’s meant to be courted, women often come out with the short end of the stick when it comes to the dating scene.  Honestly, how hard is it for men to treat us with courtesy, kindness, and respect, even if we don’t turn out to be “the one”?
Let me start with one of my earliest experiences.  For the sake of anonymity, I’ll call the guy in this instance John.  Now John and I had known each other quite a while, having attended the same high school.  By this time, I was nearly out of college when John and I began going out every weekend.  Now, like I said, I knew John quite well, so I wasn’t overly surprised when, after about a month, he disappeared.  It was obvious he was avoiding me, and since I had no emotional attachment to the relationship, I didn’t let it bother me.  By now I’m sure some of you ladies are nodding your heads, being very familiar with this type of behavior, but my story gets better.  After about a month of not seeing John at all, he shows up on my doorstep and asks to speak to me.  He then proceeds to ask if we had been dating, and then apologizes for it.  Fortunately I was able to respond at the time the same way I do now: I laughed.  Not to his face, but as soon as he was gone.
So what was the issue?  It wasn’t like I was pushing for anything more than just someone to have fun with on the weekends.  We never held hands, and we certainly never kissed.  Yet John was so self-absorbed, or just plain ignorant, that he didn’t even realize that what we were doing was considered dating, and then he compounded his error by apologizing for having gone out with me in the first place!  In this instance, the humor was quite clear to me, but it was just the first sign of things to come in my dating life.
Following the humorous disaster that was John I’ve had other dating experiences.  Some were better than others, and then some fell completely flat.  The cosmos have introduced me to the guy who admitted on our first date how deeply in debt he was, and then turned around and was rude to my best friend, as well as the guy I could have easily fallen for, who did a disappearing act anytime it looked like we could be more than just dating buddies.  It was my latest dating disaster, however, which has taken the cake.
I met Dan online, and we hit it off enough that we started texting.  I won’t give the details, but I’ll just say Dan had some pretty hefty baggage, but he was mostly upfront about it, and I was willing to work with what I had.  And then came that terrifying first date.  I was expecting fun and flirting; what I got was an unwanted psycho-analysis session.  Dan broke down what he saw as my “issues,” and then tried to convince me to give him an emotional declaration so that he could “solve” them.  By the time I kicked him out of my vehicle, I was so mad I was shaking.

I have nothing against the idea of dating; it’s a necessary step in the courtship process.  Even if nothing serious develops, it can grant two people an afternoon or evening spent enjoying one another’s company.  What both sides of this equation need to remember, however, is that there is a person on the other side; a person with thoughts, feelings, and ideas of their own.  As with any interaction with others, the best advice I could offer is to follow the golden rule.  Treat your date with the same courtesy, kindness, and respect you would like to receive, and maybe we can turn life’s cruelest joke into our biggest laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment